Roasted Vegetables and Sausage Casserole is a versatile and amazing dish that everyone loves! It is gluten-free and can be vegetarian. I’ve made it with dairy free cheese to accommodate those who are lactose intolerant as well. If you are looking to feed your family a warm and hearty meal I think you will love this! It is one of the most requested dishes at our house.
The main component of this dish is roasted vegetables. Almost any vegetable you can think of is better if it has been roasted. The key is to cut the vegetables in small pieces that are about the same size, coat them with just a bit of oil and space them out on the sheet pan so they can crisp up. I usually start one pan with the longer cooking vegetables like potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots or butternut squash first. Then I add the second pan with things like zucchini, onions, and peppers that don’t take as long. Keep an eye on the vegetables at the end of the 30 minutes. Some may need a little longer and some might be completely done.
For the meat we love using smoked sausage cut into bite size pieces but you can also cook and crumble Italian sausage or leave the meat out entirely. It just adds a lot of good flavor and some protein to the meal.
After the vegetables are roasted and everything is combined into a casserole dish I top it generously with cheese. I usually use mozzarella but have used whatever we have on hand and it has turned out great. You can definitely use dairy-free cheese as well.
My favorite sheet pans are these 13 x 18 x 1 aluminum sheet pans. I got them on Amazon 7 years ago and they have held up wonderfully!
Roasted Vegetables and Sausage Casserole
- Large Sheet Pans
- Casserole Dish
- 3 Yukon Gold potatoes cut into small wedges
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 medium onion sliced
- 1 medium zucchini sliced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons sandwich sprinkle
- 2 cups green beans
- 1 pound smoked sausage cubed
- 1 pound pizza cheese
- In a large bowl, combine the potatoes, zucchini, sweet potato, green beans (if they are raw) and onion. Pour over vegetables and toss to coat.
- Transfer to two 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pans covered with parchment paper. Bake, uncovered, at 425° for 30-40 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally.
- Mix cooked vegetables with smoked sausage into casserole dish (add the green beans if they are canned) and cover in cheese. Return to oven for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted. Turn on the broiler if you like your cheese all bubbly.
I hope you will try this delicious meal! Let me know what variations are your favorite!